A co-founding senior member of Primerio, Andreas Stargard is legal, strategic, and business advisor to companies and individuals across the globe. His focus areas are antitrust & competition advice, white-collar counseling, contract litigation & negotiation, and resolution of global business disputes, including cartel work, corruption allegations and internal investigations, intellectual property & distribution issues. Clients commend him for providing high-quality work product, strict client focus, and timely, concrete advice that stays on point. He has written and spoken extensively on business litigation, antitrust & competition-law issues. Andreas also advises clients on corporate compliance programmes that conform to local as well as global government standards, and has handled key strategic merger-notification issues, including evaluation of filing requirements, avoidance strategies, cross-jurisdictional cooperation, and the like.
Andreas received his law degree from the University of Virginia (Dean’s List, 2003) and his undergraduate degree from the College of William and Mary (Phi Beta Kappa, 1999). A native of Germany, he is fluent in German, French, and English.
- Advise Rockwell Automation Inc. in its global joint venture with Schlumberger, creating the first fully-integrated digital oilfield automation solutions provider (Sensia) (2018-2019).
- Represent senior executive in criminal DOJ price-fixing investigation in the RF technology sector (2018-2019).
- Advise World Bank subsidiary on commercial and competition-law aspects of cross-border interoperability project (2018-2019).
- Shepherded largest global agriculture M&A transaction through multi-jurisdictional merger clearance processes in three African jurisdictions, including COMESA filings, on behalf of Monsanto (2017-2018).
- Appeared before broad spectrum of courts and agencies (FTC, DOJ, DG COMP, COMESA CC, Kenya CAK, German Bundeskartellamt, State AGs, etc.).
- Provide ongoing competition-law and related advice to largest African pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Attorney representing leading multi-nationals in various industries in relation to cartel investigations and civil suits (e.g., Electrograph Sys. Inc. v. Hitachi, Ltd., In re Cathode Ray Tube Antitrust Litig., Haley Paint Co. v. E.I. DuPont De Nemours & Co., re Air Cargo Shipping Servs. Antitrust Litig.)
- AAA arbitration experience (appeared for MedCo in class-action arbitration dispute; argued on behalf of large community pharmacy entity in reimbursement action against Caremark; represented individuals in real estate disputes with co-owners).
- Extensive experience advising parties and protecting client interests in global governmental cartel and bid-rigging investigations, leniency applications, and follow-on civil damages lawsuits, as well as international & domestic business disputes.
- Successfully sought and obtained first DOJ amnesty pursuant to (then newly-enacted) ACPERA on behalf of German fittings manufacturer and individuals.
- Represented global technology companies in European Commission DRAM cartel investigation & block-exemption proceedings (Samsung).
- Represented aircraft manufacturer in its navigation of African regulatory regimes across southern Africa.
- Represented largest African airline in cartel investigation, defending it against allegations of air cargo price-fixing and market allocation claims, in both civil and governmental proceedings (SAA).
- Defended against breach-of-contract allegations and pursue affirmative claims against U.S. agent of leading African seafood distributor.
- Extensive experience defending against and prosecuting antitrust and contractual disputes, including monopolisation, cartel, and breach of contract charges, among many others. New York and D.C. bar memberships.
- Speaker on various panels at business & academic conferences in South Africa on the proposed criminalisation of competition law offences, pending class action legislation, and other topics.
- Frequent media appearances (e.g., discussing the Google antitrust investigation here and here).
- Editor-in-Chief and author of leading online resources on African competition law and anti-corruption matters across the continent (AfricanAntitrust.com & AfricanAntifraud.com).