Cell: +27 (0)84 506 7610
Tell: +27(0)11 083 2413
Practices in all areas of competition law enforcement and merger control across sub-Saharan Africa with particular experience in Botswana, Cameroon, Egypt, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and COMESA, including:
- cartel, abuse of dominance and general restrictive practices litigation.
- dawn raids and investigations.
- merger control (including cross border complex transactions).
- market inquiries.
- exemptions and Industry Codes of Conduct.
Commercial litigation and Dispute Resolution
Practice expertise includes complex commercial litigation (including cross border) and dispute resolution before the superior courts including arbitration.
Anti-bribery / Corruption and asset recovery
As an active member of the ICC’s Fraudnet, the world’s leading asset recovery group, Michael-James is well versed with the anti-corruption laws in Southern Africa as well as the UK Bribery Act and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Michael-James’ practice in this area includes conducting internal investigations, compliance, litigation and asset recovery.
- Representing Oryx Energies before the Competition Tribunal.
- Representing Takata Corporation before the Competition Tribunal.
- Assisted Eris Properties with project developments in Nigeria, Kenya, Malawi and South Africa.
- Assisting an FMCG company in relation to the grocery Retail Market Inquiry and Code of Conduct.
- Assisting an automotive company in relation to the Competition Commission’s draft Code of Conduct.
- Successfully represented Aristotelian College of Marketing Management in arbitration proceedings before the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa.
- Assisted the Monsanto Company in obtaining merger clearance in South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania and COMESA in respect of Bayer AG’s acquisition of Monsanto.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Limited and Harman International Industries Incorporated in obtaining unconditional merger approval in South Africa.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Ltd in the disposal of its printer business to Hewlett-Packard (HP) Inc.
- Advised Premier FMCG in obtaining merger approval in Swaziland re its acquisition of Swazi Mahewu.
- Assisting a major international airline in relation to its regulatory and competition affairs across Africa including an exemption application.
- Assisting international clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s investigation into the LPG sector, automotive parts sector, milling industry, the oil & gas sector and motion picture industry.
- Representing clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s market inquiry into the Grocery Retail sector.
- Currently assisting clients in relation to the South African competition authorities’ investigation into the automotive parts sector.
- Assisted Premier FMCG in a precedent setting case before the Supreme Court of Appeal in relation to an antitrust class action for follow-on damages.
- Assisted a chemicals company in relation to competition law matters in Ethiopia.
- Assisted a major automotive OEM in relation to various commercial and regulatory matters in Southern Africa.