Cell: +27 (0)84 506 7610
Tell: +27(0)11 083 2413
Michael-James Currie is a Director of Primerio and co-founder of the Primerio South African practice. His regulatory and commercial law practice is pan-African and he has practiced across several countries and regional blocs including Botswana, Egypt, Kenya, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania, COMESA and CEMAC, for the better part of a decade. Mike has consistently been recognised as a “Best Lawyer in South Africa” and also serves as the “Global Law Expert for Competition Law in Nigeria.” In addition to his practice areas, Mike is a regular speaker and author who has published several joint articles, papers and opinion pieces. As an active member of the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association, Mike’s practice also includes a substantial amount of regulatory work – particularly in promoting competition law and best practice across Africa.
- Representing Conservatorium/Centerbridge in civil proceedings in South Africa following the Steinhoff share price collapse (in what was the largest civil claim instituted in South Africa).
- Representing Oryx Energies before the Competition Tribunal in relation to the cylinder deposit investigation.
- Obtained merger approval from the Nigeria Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission in relation to Providence Equity Partner’s proposed acquisition of Marlink.
- Representing a fibre company in relation to several proceedings before the South African competition authorities.
- Advising a client in relation to the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into State Capture in South Africa.
- Successfully advised Premier FMCG in obtaining merger approval in relation to its acquisition of Mr Sweet from Lodestone brands in South Africa, Eswatini, Namibia and Botswana.
- Representing Takata Corporation before the Competition Tribunal in relation to price fixing and market allocation complaint referrals.
- Assisted an international non-profit organisation repatriate funds from following fraudulent wire transfers.
- Assisted Eris Properties with project development advice in Nigeria, Kenya, Malawi and South Africa.
- Counselling a construction company in what is understood to be the largest money laundering scam in South African history.
- Assisting an FMCG company in relation to the grocery Retail Market Inquiry and Code of Conduct.
- Assisting a Japanese automotive company in relation to the Competition Commission’s draft Code of Conduct.
- Successfully represented Aristotelian College of Marketing Management in arbitration proceedings before the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa against the IMM.
- Assisted the Monsanto Company in obtaining merger clearance in South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania and COMESA in respect of Bayer AG’s acquisition of Monsanto.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Limited and Harman International Industries Incorporated in obtaining unconditional merger approval in South Africa.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Ltd in the disposal of its printer business to Hewlett-Packard (HP) Inc.
- Advised Premier FMCG in obtaining merger approval in Swaziland re its acquisition of Swazi Mahewu.
- Assisting a major international airline in relation to its regulatory and competition affairs across Africa including an exemption application.
- Assisting international clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s investigation into the LPG sector, automotive parts sector, milling industry, the oil & gas sector and motion picture industry.
- Representing clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s market inquiry into the Grocery Retail sector.
- Currently assisting clients in relation to the South African competition authorities’ investigation into the automotive parts sector.
- Assisted Premier FMCG in a precedent setting case before the Supreme Court of Appeal in relation to an antitrust class action for follow-on damages.
- Assisted a chemicals company in relation to competition law matters in Ethiopia.
- Assisted a major automotive OEM in relation to various commercial and regulatory matters in Southern Africa.