Stephany Torres is an experienced legal advisor to businesses faced with merger control proceedings, cartel investigations or dawn raids, and general competition litigation.
Stephany formed part of the team whch:
- Represented Conservatorium/Centerbridge in civil proceedings in South Africa following the Steinhoff share price collapse (in what was the largest civil claim instituted in South Africa).
- Assisted Premier Foods in relation to its successful application for corporate leniency in relation to the investigation of the bread industry by the S.A. Competition Commission.
- Advised in numerous of the market inquiries brought by the South African authorities, including advising clients in relation to the South African competition authorities’ investigation into the Auto parts sector; the LPG sector, grovery retail sector; banking sector and the automotive aftermarkets sector.
- Advised parties before the current Judicial Commission of Inquiry headed by Judge Raymond Zondo into allegations of State Capture
- Advising a Consortium of Banks in relation to the recovery of proceeds following the Steinhoff fraud in what is among the largest civil claim in South Africa’s history.
- Acted in complex competition litigation before the competition authorities in relation to the LPG matters.
- Successfully advised Google Inc in relation to an abuse of dominance complaint before the SA competition authorities
- Advised Verizon Business in relation to the disposal of its South African business to MTN Limited
- Advising Pick n Pay Limited in relation to the Competition Commission’s high profile investigation into the retail grocery sector
- Advised the Internet Solutions Providers Association of South Africa (ISPA) in successfully opposing the much publicised and aborted merger between Telkom and Business Connection (BCX), South Africa’s largest IT company
- Represented ABSA Bank in the first comprehensive investigation by the South African competition authorities into banking fees and general banking practices
- Advised Anglo American in the sale of its remaining 29.2% stake in Highveld Steel and Vanadium to the Evraz Group SA
- Represented Pearson Plc and its local subsidiary Maskew Miller Longman in the local merger of Heinemann and Maskew Miller Longman publishers, resulting from the merger of their international holding companies, Pearson Plc and Harcourt Education International
- Assisted Premier Foods in relation to its successful application for corporate leniency in relation to the investigation of the bread industry by the South African Competition Commission