Services – Competition Law and Antitrust
Overview of our competition law/antitrust practice
Primerio’s roots are African. As the continent’s first Pan-African boutique regulatory law firm, Primerio’s competition law offering remains a core area of expertise.
Primerio’s team includes experienced external competition law practitioners, economists, former regulators and a vibrant team of junior lawyers. We deal with all types of competition law matters from merger filings to highly complex and cutting-edge precedent setting cases. We have advised several multinationals in all areas of competition law including merger control, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance cases, follow-on damages, exemption applications and general counselling and compliance.
The team is well equipped to handle “dawn raids” (including mock dawn raids) or “on-premise” searches by regulatory agencies and to shepherd such investigations ensuring the firms and its employees’ rights are protected and that evidence is handled in the appropriate manner.
We have collectively advised clients in relation to Competition law matters across several jurisdictions including:
- South Africa,
Some recent notable matters in which the Primerio team have been involved include:
- acted for Premier FMCG and Brait in the acquisition of the Mister Sweet business from Lodestone Brands in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Eswatini.
- representing Oryx Energies before the South African Competition Tribunal.
- representing Takata Corporation before the South African Competition Tribunal.
- acted for Rockwell Automation and Schlumberger in relation to merger control vis-à-vis the Egyptian and Nigerian agencies.
- advised a multinational company in merger control before the Cameroon and Nigerian agencies.
- representing the Monsanto Company in relation to Bayer’s acquisition of Monsanto in COMESA, Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa.